Sunday, February 20, 2011

Meanwhile, In Another Small Town...

Okay, I know I said I'd give my overall thoughts on the fall season of AIO soon, but I'd like to take a break from AIO discussion to plug another radio drama that I think deserves some attention. That radio drama is Down Gilead Lane, which is re-airing its fifth season starting this weekend. So let's see if I can try to persuade you that it's worth checking out!

You'll find a story arc
I don't know about you, but I love continuing storylines in radio dramas and television shows. As long as a story arc is well-crafted I greatly enjoy a plot that can carry on being captivating over a long period of time. And story arcs come in all forms--oh yes, there's the exciting, all-encompassing story involving a sinister company called Andromeda trying to take over the world from small-town Odyssey, but then there's also the heartfelt, realistic story involving Mandy and her parents' possible divorce. The story arc present in Season Five of DGL falls more into the latter category, as everyday characters press through a number of issues facing them over a period of months. Each episode is written by the same writer, meaning that all the episodes feel connected and maintain the same feel.


You'll find relatable characters
My theory when it comes to fictional characters is that a listener usually likes them for one of two reasons: either they have unique qualities which make them likeable (possible examples are Bernard, Harlow Doyle, or Bennett Charles) or they are so realistic that you bond with them and grow attached to them because of that (possible examples are Mandy, George Barclay, or Connie [although that last one's a bit doubtful--do you really know someone who doesn't go anywhere in life and no one seems concerned about that?]). Probably you could argue that a lot of characters are both unique and realistic (such as Eugene), but I'd say that in most cases the reason you like the character would be because of just one of those two elements (that is, most listeners like Eugene because he's a quirky, fun character--not because he reminds them of their dad!). If you've ever listened to Down Gilead Lane you'll know that the show is severly lacking in idiosyncratic characters but abounds with realistic ones, which is both to the show's advantage and disadvantage. In the upcoming Season Five episodes the abundance of true-to-life characters works well, offering characters of all ages that you'll identify with and root for.

And you'll find powerful lessons
Sometimes a radio drama stands out because of its ability to impact those who come into contact with it. That is certainly the case with the upcoming twelve episodes of DGL, which involve somewhat serious issues dealt with from a distinctly Christian perspective. These are not vague messages about things like honesty and cheating, but instead address hard-hitting issues like rebellion, family breakups, and reaching out to the hurting.

Admittedly it's fairly sentimental stuff that's not for everyone's taste, but if episodes like "Karen" or "Life, in the Third Person" are among your favorite AIO shows then I think there's a good chance you'll find something to like in this season of DGL. So if you dare, go listen to the first episode of this season now!

And if you're at all interested, be sure to check out the weekly fan commentary on these DGL episodes here. Um, should I mention that I co-host it? :-D

3 comments:

Tim B. said...

Hey Dave! I just recently became a fan of DGL after hearing their Season 12 Finale. It intrigued me and I thought to myself, "I think I will start listening to this drama now" only to find out that they were going to stop producing them. Oh well, at least I can now catch up on what all happened to make it to that point. Anyway, I think its a great show with great moral lessons. I think I like Odyssey for the drama and DGL for the morals they have. It seems that DGL is more biblically based than AIO is. So now that I have bored you to death, LOL, I will say that DGL is a high-quality radio drama and I as well recommend it to anyone.

Dave said...

Hey Tim! :-D I think some of the best episodes of DGL are actually the older ones, when DGL was not trying to be like AIO but instead trying to create something with an entirely different feel. With the introduction of John Fornof to the DGL writing team I thought that DGL sometimes seemed to try to "compete with" AIO in its storylines, which is never a good idea!

BTW, have you read Jacob Isom's comparison of the two audio dramas? (http://www.odysseyscoop.com/articles/article12.htm) It's very out-dated now, but many of his points about DGL are still relevant.

Dave

Tim B. said...

That is very true. I don't think its good for two Christian organizations to compete with one another, but rather work together. To answer your question, yes I have read Jacob's comparison but it has been a long time ago. I may have to go back and refresh my memory on what he said. Anyway, keep up the good work. Also, I have checked out your DGL blog and it looks awesome. Unfortunately, I have never listened to your podcast since I am always at work when I remember it. Then I forget about it. LOL!