Monday, November 22, 2010

"Back to Square One!"

It seems that with every new episode that she's in, Emily Jones proves herself to be hard to like. Not as hard to like as Olivia, of course, but still a character that's hard to sympathize with or relate to. In the words of Matthew, she "meddle[s] and make[s] up little schemes...," and seems rarely to think that what she's doing may be hurting her friends or family. And it's her role as meddler in "Square One" that makes the show less than satisfactory.

But before I blame Emily for everything I didn't like about this episode, I have to admit that the plot of this show is somewhat on the bland side to begin with. The guys' secret club wasn't particularly interesting, and the conflict with Matthew being kicked out of it was not edge-of-your-seat stuff. I found it amusing that Whit had his one scene as has been the case in the last few episodes, but it seemed rather strange to have him in the show just so that he could act clueless for that one scene.

So it was just a ho-hum show. Matthew was his usual Sam Johnson-like self, Emily was bossy, and we all learned a lesson about trust and friendship. All of which is very average indeed.

Rating: 6/10

3 comments:

Tim B. said...

I for one hate Emily's character. I hope they get rid of her soon. That's how much I don't like the character.

Dave said...

I don't feel quite that strongly about Emily--I think she's an okay character sometimes, like in "Stage Fright," but I have yet to forge any sort of connection with the character like I have with Matthew or Camilla. While it would be no great loss for her to disappear, the writers have created a lot of stuff for her to do on the show--in particular be a best friend for Matthew and solve "Jones (and sometimes Parker) Mysteries"--so I doubt she's leaving anytime soon. :-)

Tim B. said...

I know, but the Emily just doesn't seem one that would be a good character to keep for a long time. But who knows maybe she will grow on me. As of right now she seems to be like that Brenda Frazier character to me but that's just me.